I’ve made a few play-dough recipes (this was pre-blogging), and I definitely prefer making my own over buying it. There are a variety of recipes to try out there and most of them can be found on this website: PlaydoughRecipe.org.
Here’s the first one I tried:
- Flour: 1 cup (up to 2 if you feel it is thin..although I probably only added 1/4 cup more)
- Boiling Water: 1 cup
- Corn Oil: 3 tbsp
- Salt: 1/2 cup
- Koolaid : 1 package
- Mix each ingredient in with the flour
- Add boiling water
- Mix throughly
- Knead the flour and other ingredients until very well mixed
- Add more flour if necessary for texture to create a soft dough
- After you’re done playing with the play-dough, keep it in a Ziploc bag or Tupperware container.
My opinion about this play-dough recipe:
- I loved the colors of the Kool-Aid.
- The play-dough itself was soft and smooth
- I had higher hopes for the smell…the Kool-Aid itself smelled great…but I didn’t care to smell this play-dough after I was done making it. The next day when we played with it…it smelled a lot better…but honestly both my kids and I only liked the tropical punch (red) Kool-Aid the best. The lemon-lime (green) still wasn’t pleasant to smell and the berry blue (blue) was just OK.
- The color did not stain our hands while we played with it.