I decided to adapt this letter matching activity, from Mamas Like Me, to go with the book we read as part of the Virtual Book Club for Kids activity for the month of September. It was very simple and quick to make, and if your child loves stickers, this is a great activity for him/her.
- Green construction paper (leaves)
- Paper towel roll (tree)
- Color dot labels (coconuts)
First I cut some leaves out of green construction paper and taped them onto the paper towel roll to make our coconut tree.
I then wrote the letters A-Z in capital letters on the paper towel roll.
Once I finished prepping the craft, my daughter and I read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. She loved the story so much she had me read it two more times.
I then handed her the lower case labels and told her to match them to the upper case letters on the paper towel roll. As you can see, peeling the labels off the sheet is a great way for preschoolers to practice their fine motor skills. Fine motor skills involve the coordination of small muscles in the fingers and hands.
We did have a bit of trouble with the labels staying on some of the letters…
..however she did manage to finish the activity with some help. Originally, I had instructed her to put the label on top of the corresponding letter. My daughter didn’t want to cover up the upper case letter however, and decided to place the labels next to the letters.
1. Pick your favorite book by Bill Martin Jr. (or a new one you want to check out) and read it with your child or class.
2. Create an activity, project, craft, cooking project, etc. related to the book and do it.
3. Come back and share it with us…this linky will be live for 3 weeks starting today, so if you aren’t ready to post … just join in when you can! If you don’t blog, you can share what you did on our Facebook wall, email us, or just comment on the post.
4. All Blog Participants will have a chance to be featured on our Pinterest Board & Facebook Page!
Let us know you’re joining us this month or in a future month by leaving a comment below in the comment section! Our schedule of featured authors is: